29 Aug 2012

A visit from the breastfeeding counsellor...

Today I had a visit from the community breastfeeding counsellor.  A really lovely lady who also runs two 'drop-in' clinics in town per week;  I shall definitely make sure I make the most of those as they do say 90% of problems women face can be solved with a 5 minute counselling session.

A slightly more au-naturel approach to the crocheted boob.
From smeddley.com.
Apparently, according to Google images, this is
actually quite a common craze?!


Despite being extremely informative and useful I did have to make quite an effort not to giggle like a schoolgirl at points during the visit....the lady had brought along a rather disturbing looking doll (think Elmo crossed with Kermit the Frog) and a crocheted  boob to illustrate her points.  Yes, a purple and pink crocheted breast.  Amazing (see below).  It really got too much for me when she was massaging the crocheted boob on top of her own blouse whilst showing me how to 'literally throw' the baby onto the breast.  Poor Elmo/Kermit, with his manic, fixed grin being launched onto the purple knitted nipple (with some force I may add, against the lady's own ample bosom) was nearly enough to make me snort with suppressed giggles.  Luckily I managed to draw on some hidden reserve of maturity and instead nod with an expression of what I hope was something close to enthusiastic concentration.  


But in all seriousness, my aim at the moment is to be able to breast feed exclusively for at least 6 months.  I still can't make out which advice to follow in regards to routine vs demand-feeding....in all likelihood it will probably be a combination of the two, with demand feeding maybe taking preference in the very early days.  However I shan't be afraid to admit defeat if it really isn't working for either me or the baby.  I'll give it my best though and try any advice offered before reaching for the tub of formula!

I guess time will tell and probably sooner rather than later!

Lulu x

P.S. Following on from my extremely mature reaction to my visit today I happened to stumble upon these images.  Just brilliant......I may have been inspired!


From http://www.crochetconcupiscence.com/2012/04/
100-unique-crochet-hats
From http://www.etsy.com/listing/8270154/
crocheted-boob-scarf


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!